Document Returns

On this page, you can find frequently asked questions regarding the return of legal documents we’re storing and our GDPR obligations when processing such requests.


You’re storing my Will – how do I request for it to be returned?

We need two supporting documents to release a Will. These documents are required to verify that the request to send the Will has in fact come from you.

  1. Written request. To release any document, including a Will, we need a written request in the form of a signed letter. This letter must be signed by the Testator. If you’re a couple, both of you must sign and print your name. You can download our template letter by clicking here: Return_Letter_Template
  2. Proof of ID. Along with your letter, you need to send us a copy of a photo ID for each individual who is requesting their Will. We can accept a photo driving licence, valid bus pass or passport.

Please do not send us original documents – we only require clear copies. We do not accept any liability if original documents are lost in the post.

I am requesting a Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) – what do I need to do?

If you are the Donor – i.e. the person who has made the LPA – and you still have capacity, you can request that your LPA is returned to you in the same way as requesting a Will. Please remember to send both the written request and the proof of ID.

If you are an Attorney and you want to request an LPA for someone who has lost capacity, we will need to check the client’s file for their instructions. Please contact us initially by phone 0800 788 0500 or email with the client’s name and address. We will then retrieve their file and let you know what you need to do next. Please be aware that a Lasting Power of Attorney is a powerful legal document and we, therefore, have certain professional duties that we must comply with regarding its release.

Please note that while a donor has capacity, the Attorney does not have an automatic right to a copy of the power.

Where do I send my request to?

Once you have a written request and a copy of ID for each client, this needs to be posted to our Head Office in Nottingham at the address below. Please provide a telephone contact number when writing to us so we can contact you regarding your request.

F.A.O Document Returns Team
April King
Huntingdon House
278-290 Huntingdon Street

I’m requesting a Will of someone who has passed away – what do I need to do?

When a client has passed away it’s important we speak to the Executors of the Will. If you believe you are an executor of a Will we hold, you will need to call us on 0800 788 0500 and ask to speak to our probate department or email